Wednesday 2 February 2011

Brick Constructions

Yesterday I demolished my brick corner stair sculpture in order to create a corner tower of bricks. 
 
My next idea was to create a cylinder tower around myself, so I would be trapped inside the tower. However, after doing the corner tower I have deemed it as being unsafe as the bricks aren't 100% stable. I won't be pursuing with this idea as the tower could collapse inwards and hurt me. 
 
I began today by researching into Minimalist sculptor Carl Andre, famous for writing poetry, making drawings and some abstract sculptures in perspex and wood, with geometric forms. 
Carl Andre's Equivalent VIII, 1966
Carl Andre's 144 Magnesium Square, 1969
I then went on to create a brick sculpture in response to this research. However, as my sculpture is created from junk/recycled bricks I have purposely left gaps where the brick should be. My brick square isn't uniform like Carl Andre's as I am attempting to achieve a rugged, recycled piece of work. 
Since these photographs have been taken I have made the square straighter, which now gives a better illusion of where the gaps are. 
Working in this manner has made me realise a link between this brick sculpture and mosaics, especially where bits are missing in mosaics, also known as 'lacuna'.

No comments:

Post a Comment