Thursday 7 October 2010

A bit of a coinsidence ... ?

Today I was volunteering at the Brindley Arts Centre, Runcorn, taking down the current exhibition ‘Playful Order: Artist Jeni McConnell’. 

I was cleaning a section of the gallery floor which was covered in coal. This was originally covered with black material to stop the coal going on the floor, but it didn’t work. However, it left fascinating marks on the floor with the coal dust … which I had to hoover up as part of the cleaning job.

While I was cleaning up I started making marks of my own using my footprints to walk through the coal dust and also using the hoover to make marks and patterns.

While I was doing it, it reminded me of a video repetition piece I saw in the Bluecoat Gallery, Liverpool a few months ago. The exhibition was titled ‘Arabicity: Such a Near East’, there was an artist called Raeda Saadeh. She produced a video titled ‘Vacuum’, the video shown her hoovering up the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment